Saturday, August 4, 2012

Creating

Sometimes the process is the most fun and work.  It is where I can take a bit of liberty and create something wonderful, beautiful and useful.
I love to paint furniture.  I love the hunt for it, thinking about it, choosing the color for it and then watching it become a thing of beauty, destined for a loving home.  I know the things I paint are decorating homes and business around the Mesa - Phoenix area.  I am proud of that.
Each time a piece sells from Merchant Square Antique Marketplace, my heart sings just a little bit.
So thank you to everyone who gazes, looks, touches, sell me a piece or buys something from me.
Thank you for loving my work and helping me use my talents.

As a thank you, I am going to show you the process and products used to create most of the things I do.
I use a Purdy paint brush. 

It really does pay to buy the best one.  It is a joy to use and I clean it quickly after each use, smooth the bristles and let it air dry.

I am using Anne Sloane Chalk Paint for this project.  It is $39.00 a quart.
I usually use two coats.  It is a great paint. 

I use two kinds of wax on the chalk paint.
Clear Wax by Anne Sloan, $30 a can.
I also use Briwax dark wax, $20 a can
Now for the project piece.
I am painting a cute french provencial china cabinet.  As you can see, I had to spackle the top and will be sanding shortly to smooth it out.  I have applied one coat of AS Chalk paint to the bottom piece and part of the top.  I will finish painting the outside top and after sanding the bottom top.  The paint dries quickly or in a bit I will do a second coat.

This is where you choose to sand or not to sand.  You can lightly sand all the corners, edges, detailing or not.  It is up to you.  It depends on the piece if I do it or not.

After sanding or not, you put clear wax over the entire piece.  Everywhere you put paint, you put clear wax.  Do a small area at a time as you will be wiping it off right after applying it.  Use a rag or brush to apply.  After the entire piece has been clear waxed, apply a scant coat of dark wax, work in a small area and wipe it right off.  If some sticks, use a bit of clear wax over it and rub again.  Do this to the entire piece.  The color will darken and obtain age with this process.  It will be stunning when done.
The top so far.
and the bottom with one coat of paint and spackle on top.
I ended up using a latex satin finish paint on this piece. 
 I used my trusty Purdy Paint Brush.
I had intended to use Anne Sloan Chalk Paint but the Mini Stockest was out to wax until Tuesday at the earliest and I did not want to wait that long so I switched paint Behr Paint and Primer, satin finish.  With heavy sanding, with 80 grit sandpaper to bring out all the ornate details it changed the whole appearance of this buffet
.  I scrubbed the handles with a wire brush to clean them and it is beautiful!

Finished bottom, it looks perfect like it is so I am not going to finish the top.  When this was listed on Craigslist, it sold right away.

Thank you for coming along on this wonderful fun trip with me.

Hugs, Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment